Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Transitioning back to RAW... Quinoa Salad

Transitioning back to RAW
So many of you know I (Sarah) am transitioning back to Raw after the birth of Isabelle! Well it has been three months since Issy was born and I have slowly but surely getting back into the RAW!  
Some of the yummy raw food which I love again are Tahini - for some reason during my pregnancy I couldnt even bare the thought of consuming it! Not Im loving it again!  
Red Quinoa

Lunch times are my usual non all raw meal  - I have either been having Spouted bread with adocado.... delicous!  But advocado on spourted bread every day can get a bit boring! So today for the first time ever I thought of cooking Quinoa, as it is full of protein and amino acids - all good for a breastfeeding mumma! To cook it is just the same as cooking rice!  I made an amazing Quinoa salad see recipee below! You can also Spout Quinoa but I was impatient today! They take about 8 hours to sprout, and I think I might actually do that now so I can have a RAW lunch tomorrow!

Some of the health Benefits of Quinoa
  • Quinoa is a good source of protein and one of the few plant foods that contains all nine essential amino acids that make it a complete protein and an excellent choice for anyone who follows a vegetarian diet.
  • Like most whole grains, quinoa has many benefits that fight cardiovascular disease. It contains high levels of antioxidant materials, such as manganese, that help to prevent cell damage.
  • It is also an excellent source of magnesium which is very effective for relaxing blood vessels and a great benefit to migraine sufferers and those with high blood pressure.
  • Quinoa is very easy to prepare and cooks quickly. You receive all the benefits of a whole grain, yet quinoa cooks as quickly as white rice. This makes it a great choice for a quick yet nutritious weekday dinner.

My Yummy Quick Quinoa Salad  - Perfect for lunch
1 cup quinoa
2 Tablespoons of Tahini
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice 
1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 Tomato
1 cucumber, diced
1 carrot, grated

Spouting Quinoa
Sprouting Quinoa  takes about 8-12 hours you have little baby quinoa sprouts. 

For easy directions on sprouting quinoa, check out these Sprouting Instructions from the Sproutpeople®.  

Enjoy!! Sarah:)

No comments:

Post a Comment